How to get a residence permit in Spain?

Are you interested in moving to Spain for a short or longer period of time? If so, you may need a Spanish residence permit. Luckily, all citizens from European Union countries, are not required to obtain a visa to live in Spain, thanks for the European Union’s freedom of movement. The same applies for the countries in the European Economic Area, so the EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway. In addition, this applies to Switzerland as well.

The citizens who are not included in the previous groups have to either apply for a short-term visa or temporary residency in Spain, if they want to work and live in Spain. The short-term visa is also known as the Schengen visa, and it allows a person to stay in the country for 90 days. However, if you are willing to stay longer in Spain, the temporary residency is for you.

Types of Temporary Residence Permit in Spain

With the temporary residence permit in Spain, you can stay in Spain for up to five years. The type of the temporary residence permit depends on your intentions regarding why you are willing to reside in the country. There are six different types of residence permits in Spain.

  • Non-lucrative Residence Permit: The non-lucrative residence permit is for a person who would like to reside in Spain without engaging in any economic activity. This permit allows the person to stay one year in Spain and it can be renewed after the period. The only requirement is to show that you have sufficient funds to reside in Spain without engaging in any economic activity. The best part is that you can also complete a joint-application and take your spouse and minor children with you
  • Entrepreneur Visa: The second type of residence permit is the entrepreneur visa, which is one of the easiest residence permits to get. It allows you to live in Spain for two years if you start a project in the country which is in the interest of the Spanish economy. By this, it means that you have to create employment and the project must be innovative and enhance the socio.economic development of Spain. In addition, if it creates investment opportunities or has patents, the chances are better to get the residence permit. When you apply for the visa, you will also have to send the Spanish Commercial Office your business plan to prove that your intentions are right.
  • Golden Visa: The Golden Visa is for investors, who are investing at least five hundred thousand dollars in Spanish real estate. You can read more about the Golden Visa here.
  • Student Visa: If you are a non-EU citizen and you want to study in Spain, you will have to apply for a student visa. This permit authorizes you to live in Spain during your studies. The length of the visa is two years. Also, other requirements are involved, such as adequate financing, medical insurance contract, enrollment certification and clear criminal backgrounds. You can either apply for the visa in your home country, or then you have the possibility to come to Spain with a tourist visa, enroll to the program and then apply for a student visa.

The Working Visa in Spain:

If you are planning to reside in Spain because a job offer, you can apply for a working visa. There are different types of working visas available depending on the nature of the work. Firstly, there is a work permit for persons who have found a job in Spain. The requirements for this are that you are in your home country when you apply for it and the position that you are applying for is a category on the shortage occupation list. This is a list published by the Public Service of State Employment which state all the working categories with shortages at the moment. However, there is a possibility how you can skip the Shortage Occupation list, which is called the preferential regime. The requirements are that the position has been offered to Spanish nationals or EU citizens, but none has accepted it or you are the a child or a spouse of a legal resident in Spain

Secondly, there is a work permit for persons who are self-employed or freelancers. This is for persons who would like to pursue economic activity without being hired by a company. This permit is granted for a year and it can be renewed until five years of consecutive renewals. After this, the person can apply for a long-run residence permit. Also in this case, you cannot be in Spain for the application and there are certain requirements to be met. These include professional qualifications to practice your work, your financing is adequate and that you have a solid business plan. 

Thirdly, if you are a student with a student visa, you can work up to 20 hours per week if it does not interfere with your studies. However, if your studies have taken more than three years in Spain, you can switch your student visa to a work permit. This can be done if you have been offered a job which will last more than a year and consists of min. 30 hours per week. 

Spanish Residency Requirements

Depending on the residence permit you are applying for, the documents that you need may differ. However, there are few documents that are required for each type of residence permits. These include the following:

  • NIE number
  • Proof of sufficient funds
  • Clear criminal records
  • Proof of health insurance. 

Filling up the documents can turn out to be a complicated process, if you don’t have experience in applying for residence permits in Spain. In our Immigration department there are experts in these kinds of issues, ready to help you to obtain your Spanish residence permit. Contact Us!

1 thought on “How to get a residence permit in Spain?”

Leave a Comment